Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nothing profound...




Two primer coats and one finish coat and the inside of the cabin is looking good. Only I know where the little flaws are and I'm not about to point them out. Only one more finish coat is maybe necessary.  I used a good quality Benjamin Moore alkyd house paint that cost close to $60 a gallon as I figured this was one not of those places be too concerned about saving 20 bucks using a generic brand paint.
 The photos show a practice fit of the cockpit decking and footwell. The cockpit looks overly wide because the seatbacks are not installed yet.  The last photo shows how much storage is available inside the cabin underneath the cockpit decking. I took this picture from the front of the storage compartment at the bow. Once the forward decking is in place it will be almost impossible to take a photo similar to this. 

Official Boat Building Tip #3 - It really is true that paint will not adhere to unsanded epoxy/fiberglass. I had some drips of paint in the unsanded transom compartment and you can flip them off with a fingernail.

6 comments:

Trev said...

Wow, now that's a boat! You'll be on the water this year for sure.

Dave C. said...

I'm aiming for The September long weekend but there is still a lot of work to do. Just figuring out all the rigging will take a while. The sails arrived today and confirmed our suspicion that it wouldn't have been practical to tackle it ourselves on a home sewing machine. The sails also came with the luff wire, mast track cars etc. already installed.

Steve said...

Looking good...

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,

Not sure if you check your blog out anymore, but I've been reading it (and any others I find) as I build my own PS this summer) and your "Boat-builder's tip" caught my eye. I'm at the point of painting the interior and here's my question:

One school of thought says to sand epoxy surfaces to the point that there are no more shiny spots and the entire surface takes on a dull grey color - not even tiny spots of shiny surfaces. Another school says the surface needs to be roughened up, but that it doesn't take much sanding to enable paint to adhere.

Clearly some sanding is required, but how much is the question. I'm interested in your opinion, and thanks very much for your blog and photos.

Dave C. said...

I sanded the entire surface and it is a lot of sanding! I wouldn't describe it as down to a dull really grey colour but removing the shine from the epoxy. Of course you don't want to over sand down to bare wood.

BTW It's still flattering to find out people are still reading the blog after all these years.

Cheers, from my new home down under at the Gold Coast, Australia,
Dave

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks very much for your advice - and writing. I've sanded lots! but I'll continue to go after the few shiny areas remaining (e.g., along the bilge centerline where it's tough to get a sander to bear evenly on the surfaces). I've also prepared a couple test strips of plywood with FG and epoxy applied, sanded to varying states of "non-shinyness" before applying primer to test paint adherence.

I hope you and others know how valuable your collective blogging has been to those of us who follow while building our own PockeShips! The manual is excellent - as are the CLC staff and John Harris in providing real time guidance - but the pictures *and* words of other builders are together extremely helpful too.

I was only sorry to read that you didn't take your PS to down under as your son apparently had encouraged. :-)

All the best,
Mark