Thursday, June 4, 2009

Deck the cabin with heartwood teak, Fa la la la la la...


Step 1: Cut off all the tongue and grooves from the heartwood teak hardwood flooring. After some consultation I decided to go with the original plan and install the teak as in the Pocketship manual with 1/8" gaps in between. Installing with the tongue and grooves would require glueing the edges and finishing with epoxy which kind of defeats the purpose of using the pre-finished teak.
Step 2: Assemble the puzzle of pieces in the hull and see if I have enough teak. The teak pieces are 5 different lengths from 1 foot to 5 feet so I had to shift things around a lot to make sure each piece would span the floorboard cleats properly.

Step 3: Still playing the puzzle game.


Step 4: Cut and screw the pieces in place and cross my fingers that I'm not missing a piece of the puzzle. The close-up shows the old deck construction trick of using a common nail for creating the 1/8"  spacing.

Step 5: Trying to lay down a fair curve for the edge of the decking.

Step 6: Label all the pieces carefully and remove them in preparation for the third and final epoxy coat on the inner hull. Then it is time to sand everything and paint the inside of the hull. I think the teak is going to contrast very nicely with the white interior of the cabin.

I have just passed 300 man hours of construction. I have now completed approximately 120 pages of the 280 pages in the Pocketship manual. I am still optimistic that I can have the boat in the water by the September long weekend.

1 comment:

Steve said...

WOW... It looks great. I can't wait to see the paint!