Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Swaging through the shrouds


Sorry about the title, my mind has been spinning a bit sorting out all of Pocketship's rigging installation. Things are starting to sort themselves out and the goal is still to have "So True" on the water this weekend (or next) whether it is snowing or not!
As you can see the name lettering from the local sign company turned out nice on the ribbon striped tiama transom. The lettering was only $40 cash and they did it while I waited. As a bonus, they said they could print three of them on the same sheet of gold vinyl so I have two extras that I can put on the bow if I want to.

The gudgeons and pintles installed with only slight modification to spread out the lower pintle and they appear to be quite sturdy. Supposedly they are rated for a 20-22 foot boat.
Sail track is installed as are most of the cleats, cam cleats, and blocks. The masking tape in the photo separates the glossy white from the non-glare no-skid paint I used on the cockpit , cabin decking, and anchor well. It will receive a final coat in the spring when temperatures are more conducive to painting and also when I won't have to walk on it for a few days when it is drying. Some of the rigging is more easily completed once the mast and tabernacle is in place. For now, I will be bolting the tabernacle in place with larger and extra bolts rather than also gluing it to the cabin wall. This is not so I can remove it for storage in the garage but because the epoxy probably wouldn't cure well in the low temperatures we are experiencing now. The Pocketship manual suggests making the tabernacle removable for storage for a standard garage door height but you would also have to remove the boom gallows which is slightly taller than the tabernacle form what I can tell. I will probably glue my tabernacle in place in the spring when I do the touch up painting and varnishing on the boat.
This is the economy tool I used to swage the bobstay and shrouds. One end of the shrouds is not complete because I decided to put the mast up first to get a more exact length for the shrouds rather than just scaling it from the plans. I have read that technically speaking, putting on the nicopress sleeve is not really swaging but the company does call the device in the photo a swage-it tool.
The trailer is now modified and ready to accept the boat (though I am sure there will be some trial and error fine-tuning of the bunk height). John C. Harris, Pocketship's designer, says the boat can be transferred almost solo to the trailer by winching it place but I have a sloped driveway so I will have to round up the usual suspects to assist getting the boat on board the trailer.
The forecast for the proposed launch on Sunday or Monday is only 6 or 7 Celsius. But heck, it was only 10 the evening of our first sailing lesson in the spring and we capsized into water the same temperature. Maybe photos of "So True's" maiden voyage will be interesting with snow flurries. At least, the champagne should stay cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks great! My sailor over here says you've done well :D