Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The First Cut is the Deepest ( apologies to Sheryl Crow)



Day 1 of actual boat construction, also known as, "Oh, I love the smell of fresh sawdust in the morning".

Transfer some patterns to a sheet of plywood, cut them out with a circular saw, hand plane and sand the edges, and after six hours you have cockpit decking, footwell sides, and seatback tops. I followed the tip of cutting two sheets of plywood at the same time to get exact matching parts (they may be be the wrong size but at least they are identical).
Today was a bit of experimentation with transferring the patterns and drawing curves so I am hopeful the procedure will become a little faster. I don't think I have ever been so careful in measuring and cutting wood before, and plan on accuracy being foremost and not speed for the duration of this project.

I am hoping that if I leave the clamps sitting out maybe they will reproduce and make baby clamps. I am already starting to see that you can never have too many  clamps.

3 comments:

TrevC said...

Congrats on getting started. I knew you wouldn't be able to leave all of those materials and tools sitting there doing nothing for a week.

Anonymous said...

This is great fun to follow! Drop us a line at CLC if you have any questions at all.

I've seen photographic proof of at least four or five PocketShips that are well into assembly.

Dave C. said...

Thanks for the offer as I am sure that somewhere along the construction I will have a question or two. However, everyday I am more and more impressed with how comprehensive your plans are and how they anticipate what the possible difficulties will be for first time boat builders.